Parents Meeting & Final Equipment Check.
July 2, 2018
- Location: First Christian
- Time: 7:00 pm.
- Uniform: normal.
- Trekkers Bring: everything you plan on taking packed in your backpack.
- Trekkers will do a final shakedown on all gear and discuss crew gear distribution.
- Parents will be briefed by Mr. Halpin / Mr. Gill on trek including departure, return, routing, schedule, contact information.
Estimated at $175/person (mostly meals). The troop will front the cost and will reconcile after the trek when we have accurate numbers.
Being finalized. Current plan is to be dropped off and picked up (not leaving vehicles at the trailhead). Will be discussed at the route planning day.
Permethrin & Head Net
Unlike Philmont, we will be in tick and mosquito territory. It is recommended to treat your outer clothing, including hats and boots, with Permethrin which is available at WalMart, REI, Amazon, etc. Spray bottle would be good enough. Thoroughly spray your clothes (outside in a well ventilated area). Per REI:
- 12 ounces of repellent, or enough to coat two full outfits; a full outfit consists of shirt, trousers and socks (DH boots and hat also)
- One treatment will last up to six washings or six weeks before clothing has to be treated again
- Effective against ticks that carry Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- Repellent should be applied outdoors and before clothing is worn; hang clothing (DH in garage), spray and let dry two hours (four hours in humid conditions) (DH: overnight is best)
- Avoid contact with skin and eyes
Additionally, it's probably wise to bring a head net in case we are swarmed my mosquitoes in the evening.
Permethrin Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PermethrinREI: https://www.rei.com/s/permethrin-insect-repellent?origin=web&pagesize=90&ir=collection%3Apermethrin-insect-repellent&page=1&version=signals1&gclid=CjwKCAjwyMfZBRAXEiwA-R3gM_z0Hklw_cGdw4Ak61JWrbEqDKTOB08wKh0ozb-Xw00xSOAJ3NjD3hoCPiEQAvD_BwE&s_kwcid=PS_Google%7C401_452494%7Cpermethrin%7CNB%7Ca6053693-78ca-44a3-b478-91dc21f4faad%7Caud-87986356584%3Akwd-99076061&kclid=a6053693-78ca-44a3-b478-91dc21f4faad
Please send questions to Mr. Halpin at firstname.lastname@example.org